Soulmates seem to embody the ideal state of love, and just about everyone these days is on the hunt for theirs. They want to connect with their soulmate and in this relationship find a magical intense sense of being in-love, and happy. Ironically though, soul mate relationships are the most complicated, haunting and difficult ones we will ever enter into. These relationships are not the idyllic ‘happy’ pairing of two linked souls… Rather they are the turbulent and passionate meeting of two individuals with great unresolved history (karma) between them and feelings that run so deep that the way they feel about each other, barely make sense, even to themselves.
True soul mates enter our lives with an incredible attraction and chemistry. This person is someone we are irresistibly drawn towards, we cannot turn ourselves away, we cannot push them out of our hearts or our minds. They are so familiar to us, they feel so connected, and so powerfully a part of us, that we cannot cut them off. The connection resonates within our soul to the degree that our very happiness seems dependent upon them.
This person may not necessarily be our ”type” – frequently we wonder what it is about them that we fell for in the first place. They may not meet our usual requirements of a partner, or our typical physical preferences, they may not share our value system. As strange as it sounds though, this does makes sense, as the role of the soul mate is to bring to us the energy that we need to experience in order to grow. Their entrance into our lives is not random, it’s for a reason, and we are going to learn from them.
Demanding, challenging, draining, painful, intense, haunting, addictive and passionate are all used to describe the nature of a soulmate relationship. Great emotional struggle will invariably be experienced. The couples that ‘make it’ together through this turbulence and last, have without exception, been able to reform themselves in order for the relationship to survive.
Soulmate relationships require a couple to evolve together or be divided. All soul mate relationships are extreme in that they force growth and change in both partners, you cannot remain as you were prior to the relationship. If you do it will fail, and with great pain you shall part ways.
Sometimes the power of the attraction that exists between soulmates leads to a relationship that is so full of drama and intensity and passion that it is inconceivable to either that they shall ever part ways. Other times, no matter how powerful the attraction, they find that they cannot make the relationship work, circumstances are against them, and the toll the relationship takes is too great for them.
Remember this; soul mate relationships come into our lives to bring us learning. In order to live a deep, soulful life, and have rewarding relationships we have to make ourselves vulnerable. We need to take risks, expose ourselves emotionally and connect with an openness that we normally wouldn’t show…. Our soulmates cross our paths to help us do exactly that.
Amber | www.intothesoul.com
It’s hard to use the term “soulmate”, or think about finding your soulmate, without feeling a bit like you’ve suddenly swallowed a whole bunch of advertising cock and bull produced to eke your dollars away from you by the world of advertising. But seriously, not only do soul mates exist; all of us have them… and to make it slightly more confusing, we have more than one out there.. And to quote “Annie” (kind of), “A life without soul mates is like a night without stars” — a very dark night indeed. But don’t think because you are single that you’ve been left out of the soul mate phenomenon. It’s limiting to think that merging with your other half must be romantic in nature. Soul mates can be lovers, friends, family, members or even pets. While the universe might help us out in our quest to find them, it’s up to us to make sure we connect with them. Soul mate relationships seem so meant to be that it’s hard to imagine ever not knowing that person once you do. But just to be safe, below are some tips for making sure your soul mates in life don’t pass you by.
1. Instant recognition. Ami met her soul mate best friend 16 years ago on the first week of college when she made a snarky joke and her friend was the only person who laughed. One thing that’s true of all soul mates, whether they’re romantic or platonic, is that they will understand you better than anyone else. This feeling of mutual understanding often occurs almost instantly, and it only gets deeper and truer as you get to know each other better. What starts as a shared laugh at a snarky joke could lead to a lifetime of mutual laughter. Pay attention to those little moments of instant connection with people–you never know where they might take you!
2. Coincidences surround you. When you’re spending time with your soul mate, you’ll notice that the world is like a highway just for you. There will be road signs guiding you on your route. There will be coincidences everywhere. If you say, “I love so-and-so song!” You’ll be at a coffee shop one hour later and that song — as obscure as it may be — will be playing. If you’re talking about your mutual love of “90210,” you’ll sit down to dinner at a restaurant and notice that the dude sitting next to you is wearing a “90210″ sweatshirt. If you’re playing Trivial Pursuit, you’ll pull out the same card two times in a row. These are all real-life examples, by the way. But you get the point: the universe is sending you little affirmations that the two of you are meant to be playing Trivial Pursuit together for the rest of eternity. Don’t ignore the road signs.
3. A gut instinct. Many couples who have been married for decades describe a sense of knowing their partner was “the one” the moment they met, but this feeling can take other forms as well. You might just feel a little wave of intensity, or your heart might beat a little faster when you meet your future soul mate pet at a shelter. Don’t ignore those gut feelings.
4. A feeling of urgency or magnetism. When you’re in the vicinity of a soul mate, you will probably feel drawn to them or pulled toward them. You might feel a sense of urgency, like “I must talk to that person RIGHT NOW.” It’s easy to toss these feelings aside when they come out of nowhere or don’t seem to make sense, but do us a favor, OK? Even if it goes against all logic, act on those instincts. When Winona’s friend saw her soul mate walking into an art gallery, she found herself instantly transfixed on him. Though she’s usually extremely shy, she followed him in and eventually asked him out. In general, when the universe nudges you down a path, follow it.
5. You’re in the wrong place at the wrong time, to be in the right place at the right time. Soul mate meetings often start with some kind of hiccup in your daily routine, or something going wrong, or your best laid plans falling apart. When you look back though, you’ll realize all that perceived inconvenience was totally meant to be. Winona was so upset when she didn’t get into a writing class she wanted, but when she begrudgingly signed up for a different class, she ended up sitting by the person who would become her soul mate BFF. A friend of Ami’s met her current boyfriend when her usual bus stop was closed and she was forced to get on at a different station. The fact is, sometimes we have to take a convoluted, slightly annoying path to meet the people we’re supposed to meet. But it’s always worth it in the end.
6. Premonition. Often times, you’ll have a premonition of meeting your soul mate before you do in the form of a dream or a déjà vu type of sensation. A friend of Winona’s actually wrote a journal entry describing her ideal guy–physical and personality traits–and ended up meeting him two days later. And Ami knows someone who had a dream about her future boyfriend years before they met — describing him by name, appearance and the circumstances of their meeting. If you’re not into psychic mumbo jumbo, that’s fine, but you may find yourself having some kind feeling like you’ve known this person forever.
With thanks for inspiring me going to The Frisky xx
Amber | www.intothesoul.com
There is a pervasive misconception that we have only one soul mate.
In reality, we will have many soul mates in our lifetime and throughout our journey. Some soul mate connections only occur briefly, while others are in place for most or all of our lives. Some are in-depth and rich, while others are seemingly simple or meaningless.
They all matter and have value.
There is never an encounter we are not meant to have – be it short, long or in-depth. We made an agreement before we arrived on Earth to live out our journey together and to shape our own soul growth.
1. Twin Flame – the other part or half of your soul
In most cases, your twin flame is not actually living and they do not experience human life at the same time as you. Rather, they are on the “other side” and are guiding and caring for you from there.
In some cases, this soul mate may indeed incarnate with you. When this happens, you will know this soul mate because the chemistry you share is highly charged. If you are apart from this person, there is very deep longing for them.
However, this person is not necessarily always a good match for you; the similarity is so immense that it makes for a chaotic relationship because you’re too alike. In addition, they generally reflect everything about yourself that you don’t like. To be compatible with this person, each must be very comfortable and at peace with their own higher self.
2. Companion – also known as “Kindred Spirit” or “Teacher Soul Mate”, who comes into your life for a particular reason and duration
They may be friends, teachers or mentors who have presented at particularly challenging times in your life and/or at a time when you may pursuing a very important goal. These soul mates are voices of encouragement and support. This soul mate could even be the person who appears briefly to help when your car breaks down, or that person who magically appears at just the right time to help you in moments of greatest need throughout your life.
3. Twin Souls – people with whom we share a close friendship and feel very comfortable and relaxed with
You have many prior lives with this person, and you will likely live many again with them. This soul mate connection is quite similar to the Companion Soul Mate, however the difference is the bond is stronger and longer. This relationship is often a close friend or family member. There is often a highly spiritual or even telepathic connection with this person, and you may at times feel you don’t even need to use words to communicate. You might also find that your life experiences parallel one another.
How Do You Find Your Soul Mate?
Here are a few exercises you can do to invite your soul mate into your life:
When you meditate, set the intention of the desire to meet your soul mate – ensuring that you state this specific intention out loud as a means of releasing it to the Universe. Learn to be aware of any signs, symbols and messages that manifest. They may come in your dreams, through your meditation, or when you least expect it.
2. Count your blessings
You cannot manifest anything into reality from a place of lack, sadness or giving attention to what is missing from your life. So, make lists each day of all the things you love, every thing from the warm socks on your feet, to your health and well-being.
3. Imagine your soul mate is present in your life now
For example, see yourself laughing at the dinner table with this person, traveling together or taking a walk. Say out loud, “I am in a deep-seated, loving relationship with a uniquely wonderful person. I am so happy.”
Whatever the right words are to you, say them. Then, recognize how it makes you feel as you imagine this and say the words you have chosen. Does it bring tears of joy? Chills of excitement? Wonderful! This is where the power lies – it is in how you feel and the intention you release to the Universe.
The Universe does not know the difference between thought and reality, so this exercise of seeing your soul mate in your life as if it were reality is incredibly powerful.
Don’t give up on meeting your soul mate, they really are out there waiting to meet you, help you, or share your life with you. They often come when least expected, however by setting your intention to the Universe, having an open heart, and being thankful for what you have, your souls will collide when they’re meant to.
With thanks to Michelle Beltane – what do you think? Do you believe we have more than one soulmate?
Amber | www.intothesoul.com